Spring has sprung and the 2017 race season is just around the corner. If you are anything like me, the thought of packing away my indoor trainer brings tears of joy to my eyes!
This topic can generate a conversation a country mile long. Depending on your dietary restriction and preferences the conversation can also take a lot of different routes. Compiled below are some GENERAL nutrition and fueling tips. Take what you want and set the rest to the side.
Racing & Training
1. Train your gut. Either practicing exactly how you will fuel and hydrate race day during all of your workouts. Including product and volume. Or, to keep race day safe and easy, training with the on-course nutrition and hydration supplied.
a. 1 bottle hydration per hour, on bike
b. 300-450 calories per hour. Better to error on high side, on bike
c. At least 500mg sodium per hour, bike & run
d. 1 gel per 30 minutes on run course
1. 30g protein with in first 30 minutes’ post workout
2. Depending on work load that week and if Race Weight is still an issue use 30-90g carbohydrate as well post workout
3. In a pinch, drink an Ensure Plus. You can keep a few in the car in case of emergency
4. BCAAs directly after workout and you can use throughout the day.
1. 30g protein first thing in the morning and no carbs for 2 hours
2. Intermittent fasting. Your daily feed zone is approx. 10 hours. Ex. Eating only between 10am until 8pm
3. Fruit: Berries and apples anytime of the day. Tropical fruit, only within an hour or less leading up to a workout. Bananas, Mangos, Oranges, etc.…
I know this barely scrapes the surface of athletic nutrition, it is most certainly a large onion of a topic to peel. The above tips/tricks have worked for me and many of my clients and hopefully at least one of those will help guide you in the direction you are looking to go….The race finish line with a PR time!
INTERESTED IN HAVING ME AS YOUR ONLINE COACH? I ACCEPT A COUPLE NEW ATHLETES PER MONTH. TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION SIMPLY EMAIL ME AT
WITH THE SUBJECT TITLE: COACHING QUESTIONS AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU ASAP!
We would greatly appreciate it if You would SHARE this workout on Social Media with all your Training Buddies! The SHARE button is at the bottom of this page.
Have You Listened to the
No limits Hammer Harder Podcast?!
Every week we here at No Limits Hammer harder HQ produce a podcast that goes live every Thursday morning. Chalk full of Information, Experience and probably too much bullshit banter back and forth. Want to give it a try? Just it out right here on the NLHH website, just click the "podcast" tab up top and to the right. Already know you are going to love it....you will! Subscribe on iTunes or any other iTunes friendly podcast platform.
Have a Question, GREAT! We love questions for the podcast. Just have a statement or comment that you desperately need aired world wide..we got your back! Want to propose to that special someone and know nothing is more romantic than our podcast, I will personally make that happen...DONE! Send them all our way via Social Media and/or Email.
Cheers for the 2nd time, WES